Sunday 14 June 2015

The post-work Bond Street experience | Ayesha

I've been commuting from SE London to Hertfordshire for about 6 months now, and every single day I pass Bond Street on the Jubilee line to and from my journey. Never before had it occurred to me that I could actually hop off and be in Selfridges 5 minutes later...until last Friday.

Now, this is not a means for me to go there every Friday after work. A teacher's salary is not enough anyway and I have too much housework to catch up on. #wouldn'tmakeagoodhousewife

On this occasion, however, I intended to leave work at 4pm with a slightly untidy desk to pick up a free Origins Drink-Up overnight mask from John Lewis, an offer that was floating around on Facebook. I went straight there, then to Boots to pick up something boring that I had run out of... until I saw that Make Up For Ever had arrived in Debenhams. My pace quickened... then I went to Selfridges... and here is the damage. (Not including the boring thing from Boots!)



I'll go through each product in turn with a little mini review on some of the ones I have tried out.

Starting at the bottom, in the bottom picture:

This was the freebie from John Lewis. I have heard many amazing reviews on it and have thought about purchasing it on a number of occasions but refraining because I make my homemade chickpea flour mask anyway. I have to say I'm slightly disappointed with this one. It did make my skin feel a bit softer but nothing amazingly different to the overall look and complexion of it. Maybe it is only meant to be for hydration? I'm not sure, and perhaps I have to use it regularly twice a week to see an improvement over time.

I got a mini version of this to try. It is meant to be a make-up setter spray to help everything stay in place. I will test this out and let you know what I think when I do!

This is a lovely taupe-brown shimmery (but not overly so) cream-based eyeshadow that claims to be waterproof and long-lasting. I put it on around 12pm today and by 7.30pm there was only a very slight crease that you could only see if you looked really closely. This 7.5 hours also included an hour's worth of sweaty exercise outdoors, and my eyelids are also naturally quite oily, so I can definitely attest to its longevity. I am looking forward to creating easy, not too overpowering smoky eyes with this! 

I love this. It looks really scary and bright in the pot but when you apply it to skin, it makes it look really naturally flushed. You can apply as little or as much as you like because it's quite buildable. 

Ok so now we get to the more exciting stuff. This is a lip liner but is apparently very long lasting. You should see Charlotte Tilbury's makeup videos on Youtube where she shows you how to apply all of her products. Amazing! I have yet to try this on, but I will let you know my thoughts later.

Ok... this is the most exciting thing and yet also the most damaging to my bank account. Someone from the counter tried this on me and I was sold. The packaging is also so lovely - it seems to just glow. There are 2 compartments - the 'sculpt' side is a bronzer and then the 'highlight' side is self-explanatory. I have never been into bronzer but this product just did something to my face, and the highlighter claims to have a 'candlelit glow'. I was a bit afraid she may have applied too much so I might have looked like an actual candle on my way home, but once I had arrived and checked the mirror in natural light it was very soft. I'm sold! I will have to use this for years before buying any other bronzer or highlighter though...

Despite all of this, I saw a palette by Dior on this website. The Selfridges picture does not do it any justice, look at the second site instead. There is a certain quality about it that I can't quite describe. Somebody has to stop me!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...