Wednesday 4 February 2015

The one with the awkward name - Episode 2 | Ayesha

Hi all!

Apologies for the delayed post, it has been a whirlwind of observations and other busy things going on! I am back for episode 2.

When we got the ominous phone call from a new rishta, the first thing that struck me was his name. It was the same as my dad's. Can you imagine the weirdness that would ensue if we got married? Some might think it silly but I was already put off. However, I still met him on the off chance I might like him, so they arrived bright eyed and bushy tailed on the following Saturday. Me, not so much.

My dad began his usual Uncle Phil style grilling, but he held up well. 1 point for that. However, his mum put me off slightly. She had a look about her where I knew I should steer clear. There is a word in my language called 'chalaak' - it means cunning and usually not in a good way. I've never been wrong about my gut feelings about people before, even if I sometimes don't listen to my gut, but I took a chance as I knew you shouldn't judge a book by its cover. Still, I couldn't shake it off the way she kept appraising me with those eyes. * shudders*. I became more put off with her when I asked him what he did, and insted of him answering himself, she jumped in for him. Hello, he has a voice! Let him speak! But nope, she answered and he kept schtum. That discouraged me from asking further because she just kept looking at me, it was SO unnerving.

After a few minutes, I had served them a drink and then we served some snacks. I was still being very quiet because what on earth do I say? They didn't seem to be my kind of people. After we had eaten my dad suggested "potential" and I go in the other room to get to know each other. Mrs chalaak said, "oh, whatever they want to talk about they can say in front of us." Then motioned with her hands for the 2 of us to speak in a patronising way. I was instantly mortified because what the hell? I saw my mums face all surprised but trying not to laugh. When neither of us said anything, (30 seconds seemed to last forever) she then said, "or you can go in the other room, whatever you're comfortable with!" Damn right I should be comfortable, as its my home!

Anyway, as we didn't move, my parents tactfully (contrary to her) suggested we sat at the table while everybody else sat on the sofas (still in the same room), so that we could talk. Sigh, what a short conversation it was. We exchanged 'how are you's' and 'what do you do's', then somehow very quickly we were talking about where we went to school and how I didn't enjoy being in a girls school because some people weren't that nice to me.

Needless to say they went home and we never saw them again. Was I saying too much about my school experience?! Anyway, I was glad. Number 2 down, whoever next. I was not looking forward to it, the way they seemed to be going. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...